Tuesday 9 August 2011

Lavender Wholewheat Scones


Until now I have only ever used lavender in my bath, probably like most of you. There are a few things that lavender really works with especially sweet things. I've heard lovely things about lavender panna cotta, I've eaten lavender shortbread before. I've seen some people put it with lamb but I'm not entirely convinced about that.

I had been given some very nice strawberry and rhubarb jam and the best thing to do when you get jam is make scones! The perfume of the  lavender in the scones works really well with the sweet jam, and I think the wholemeal flour makes it nutty, meaning the lavender doesn't overpower.


I am by no means an expert on scones yet, these still didn't have the required oomph that I was looking for, I think they need self raising flour, which I keep forgetting to buy. And in fact I keep forgetting to get more plain flour too, hence the reason for wholemeal - which worked out nicely anyway!


I used this recipe, subbing with wholemeal and 2 teaspons of baking powder. And my lavender was in the form of homemade lavender sugar (grab a bunch of lavender flowers, hang upside down for a month, remove purply bits, add to a jam jar of caster sugar, wait a week), so I just replace the plain sugar with that.

The lavender comes through really well, not too soapy and just the right amount of perfumeyness.
They are perfect for a tea party!

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, not tried it before but if you say its nice, I might give it a go. Always been a bit sceptical I must admit. Mind you, I am one those odd folk that like parma violets, so I dont know why. Also, a wee tip from me is use buttermilk to bind scones. The acid in it gives a brilliant rise. Also, dont be tempted to roll dough too thin to get more. I don`t ever use a rolling pin for scones, just press it out with palm of hand. They dont like too much handling. Hope you dont mind the tips, you said you wern`t an expert and I am not either, but they are little things I picked up along the way.
    Joy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the lavender sugar, such a nice idea. Will try and make some myself soon. Thanks for sharing! urbanefruits. x

    ReplyDelete