Friday 6 January 2012

2011 Round Up

I'm a little late to this but it is still early January so it is ok!
2011 was the year that Mr. Giraffe went Veggie. It seemed daunting at first but we've learnt lots along the way and we have so many more meals in our repetoire. We also started getting a veg box from Walden Local Food which made us try lots of different kinds of veg!

Here are some of my favourite things I've made this year...

Mushroom Ragu
Rich, warming and nearly meaty. Takes much much less time to make than a normal ragu and it is very satisfying. And if you are wondering about the 'parmesan' - Sainsburys basics italian hard cheese is veggie and tastes the same as parmesan!


Rhubarb Custard Cake with Lemon Glaze.
This was something of a cake revolution for me, the sponge tastes just like custard, it really does.
And the rhubarb goes together very naturally. mmm. I can't wait for forced rhubarb to come into season next month.


I made macarons! And took some awful pictures of them! I still haven't got them perfect yet, they aren't as pretty as the ones you'll find made professionally, but they have always tasted good which is important.

I learnt to like cucumbers. These cucumber pickles are so easy to make and go with everything.


Possibly the longest title for something I've made before. A delicious dip / sauce which is so summery it makes me depressed writing about it in January. We dipped bread into it, smeared on toasted ciabatta, tossed it with pasta and ate it from the bowl with a spoon. 


Wow. Heart attack inducing baking, so many people have blogged about these and no wonder, they are the King of brownies. 


Along with all the cooking we've also done some pretty good eating out this year. Our best meal is a toss up between the Hinds Head at Bray and The British Larder in Suffolk. I do think about going back to the British Larder more often, and lots of other food bloggers have gone because of me - so I think they win.


All that has made me very hungry now, off to dive in to the remainder of the Christmas chocolate.

Happy 2012 everyone!





Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment